The CompTIA continuing education unit (CEU) program is sometimes a mystery for people new to certifications.
However, they are required in many different fields to ensure people keep up-to-date with current knowledge. As an example, medical professionals are required to earn a minimum number of CEUs periodically. It’s a good thing too. You wouldn’t want your doctor treating you with only the knowledge he had from ten years ago. Similarly, employers want to have some level of assurance that your certification includes current knowledge.
Here a few frequently asked questions (FAQs) and answers.
To start the course, follow these steps:
- Go here: http://gcgapremium.com/course/login/
You can also access this from the home page. Hover over the Account Links menu and select Log In.
- Enter your email address and password.
- Enter the captcha value to prove you’re a human.
- Click Log In.
- Click on the Mastering Security Concepts link.
- Click on the Introduction to Core Security Goals link.
Note that this course must be done in order. Later Modules and Units won’t be accessible until you complete earlier Modules and Units.
The steps are slightly different depending on the type of CEUs you’re submitting. The following steps are used to submit documentation for CEUs related to a training course such as Mastering Security Basics.
- Log on to your CompTIA account here.
Note: I cannot help you create or modify your CompTIA account. If you need help with your CompTIA account, you need to contact CompTIA.
- Click on Continuing Education.
- Review the Program Details for your certification(s).
- Review the Program Requirements.
- Click on Continuing Education Units.
- Select the desired “Intended path” such as Security+ and click Submit.
- Select the appropriate Continuing Education Activity (Completed a Training Course)
You’ll need the following information:
Detailed Description/Outline of the training content (The outline is at the beginning of this page):
Completion Certificate containing the following information:
-Name of the training provider: YCDA, LLC (You Can Do Anything)
-Name of the training: Mastering Security Basics
-Name of the certified professional: Your name
-Date the training was completed: Date from certificate
-Duration of the training: 3 hours
- Click Accept Activity
- Follow the instructions ensuring you upload a digital copy of the certificate.
The number of required CEUs vary by certification. The following table shows the number of CEUs required for renewal for several CompTIA certifications.
CEUs required for renewal
|CompTIA A+ ce||20|
|CompTIA Network+ ce||30|
|CompTIA Mobility+ ce||30|
|CopTIA Security+ ce||50|
|CompTIA Storage+ ce||50|
|CompTIA Cloud+ ce||50|
|CompTIA Advanced Security Practitioner ce||75|
You can take as long as you want to complete any course.
However, if your account is inactive for six months or more, it might be deleted.
If you need to make the certificate a smaller size (less than 1 MB), you can do so by taking a screenshot of the certificate, and then saving it as a jpg file. Another option is to use one of several tools to reduce the size of the PDF. Here are two links:
- How to Reduce PDF File Size – Describes 9 ways to reduce the size of PDFs
- Compress PDF – Allows you to drag your PDF file to the page and it reduces it
Yes. The costs vary by certification. You can view a listing of the costs here.
Some of the activities you can use to earn CEUs are:
- Earn a higher-level CompTIA certification (no maintenance fee required except if renewing through Cloud+ or Mobility+)
- Earn a non-CompTIA certification
- Complete a CompTIA certification training course
- Complete a training course *
- Complete a college course
- Teach a course
- Complete an American Council on Education (ACE) accredited course
- Create instructional materials
- Attend a live webinar
- Attend a conference
- Work experience
- Publish a relevant industry article, white paper, blog post or book
- Complete a CompTIA exam development workshop
- Become an active IT board/chapter participant
- Become an active member of an IT association
* The Mastering Security Basics course on this site is an example training course. If you complete it, you earn three CEUs for A+, Network+, or Security+ certifications.
Check out this FAQ:
Pick the easiest method that works for you.
Then do some Google searches on relevant terms to identify methods that appeal to you.
The easiest way is to pass a higher level certification. This automatically renews the lower level certification. For example, if you have the A+ or the Network+ certification, you can renew it by earning the Security+ certification. You can also renew a certification by earning specific non-CompTIA certifications. Check out these links for more details.
- CompTIA certifications that renew other CompTIA certifications
- Other industry certifications that renew CompTIA certifications
You have three years to complete CompTIA CEUs.
When you submit CEUs for a training course, you need to upload the following information:
- Detailed Description/Outline of the Training Content
- Completion Certificate
Both of these are provided when you complete approved online training courses such as the Mastering Security Basics course.
The Completion Certificate must include the following information:
- Name of training provider
- Name of the training
- Name of the certified professional
- Date the training was completed
Here’s an example certificate that you would get after completing the Mastering Security Basics course.
From CompTIA. Here are some links:
- Program Fees
- DoD Information
- Continuing Education Program FAQ
- Renewing Through CE Activities
- Login to your certification account
- Renewing Through Achieving Other Certifications
Note: CompTIA modifies and changes these links periodically. If you see a broken link, please let me know.