This exercise complements material in the CompTIA Security+: Get Certified Get Ahead: SY0-501 Study Guide.
Here’s a method of using online resources to crack a weak password.
Requirements: This exercise assumes you have Internet access.
Crack a Weak Password
Create a hash for a weak password.
1. Go to this page: http://www.sha1-online.com/
2. Ensure SHA-1 is selected.
3. Enter the word password in the textbox.
4. Click the hash button. You’ll the result as:
5. Double-click the hash and press CTRL+C to copy it.
Crack the hash of the weak password.
1. Go to the CrackStation site: https://crackstation.net/
2. Paste the hash you created on the sha1-online site into the text box by pressing CTRL+V.
3. Type in the text for the CAPTCHA and click the Crack Hashes button.
The online tool shows that the hash is from the word password.
If desired, you can redo these steps with stronger passwords and see if the online tool can crack it.