This exercise complements material in the CompTIA Security+: Get Certified Get Ahead: SY0-501 Study Guide.
You can use this lab to download and install Nmap on a Windows computer.
Prerequisites. This lab assumes you have Internet access from a Windows computer, and permissions to install an application.
1) Go to the Nmap.org site.
2) Click on the Download link. It should take you here though the link might change.
3) Identify the download for your system. For Nmap labs, I’m using the Windows version and downloaded the Windows installer file.
4) Click the appropriate link to download the file.
5) After downloading the file, follow the instructions to install it. For the Windows download, you can simply double-click the .exe file to start the installation.
6) Review the License Agreement and click I Agree.
7) On the Choose Components page, ensure all components are selected and click Next.
8) On the Choose Install Location page, click Install.
9) Nmap will start the installation of Npcap.
10) Review the License Agreement and click I Agree.
11) On the Installation Options page, select the checkbox for Support raw 802.11 traffic if your computer has a wireless adapter and you want to monitor wireless traffic. The first two boxes are checked by default.
12) When the Npcap installation is complete, click Next and then click Finish.
13) If necessary, select the Nmap Setup window. When it indicates the installation is complete, click Next.
14) On the Create Shortcuts page, select the options you desire and click Next.
15) Click Finish.